A limited edition rifle honoring the legacy of the Military Sniper.
The Marine Corps M40A1 is said to be the first rifle designed from the ground up to be a true sniper rifle. As such, it is credited with marking the birth of the modern sniper rifle and ushering in a new era of rifle technology.
In 2000 the Marine Corps presented a well used dewatted M40A1 to Gale McMillan as a Service Award thanking him for his help and efforts. Shortly there after Gale passed away and like Gale, the M40A1 has now moved on and can only be found in the hearts and minds of those who relied on them. In appreciation of this relationship, McMillan is recreating a limited edition of this very same M40A1 in exacting detail. All that has been left out are the multiple layers of camo paint that had been applied through out the service life of the original rifle.
Each element of the rifle is historically correct down to the Wichita sling swivels and brown Pachmyer recoil pad. The stock is molded from the same contract mold and is built to the same specs as those delivered by McMillan to the Marines Corps. The action, barrel, bottom metal, and trigger are all hand crafted in the same fashion as the original with correct serial number and proof stampings. To top off the rifle is the last of the available US Optics MST-100 10X scopes, mounted in the historically correct clip-slotted base and rings.
In addition to the rifle, each package comes with an ORIGINAL RETURNED M40A1 STOCK which came off of an actual USMC M40A1 service rifle. These stocks are as received from the Marine Corps and are as unique in appearance as the men who used them. They come complete with what ever swivels and bottom metal they were received with, some matching some simply attached, but all original. As with the optics, these returned stocks are the last of their kind and when they are gone, they're gone for ever. Along with the original stock, each rifle comes equipped with: MST-100 scope, period correct base and rings, Wichita swivels, leather military sling, and a numbered certificate of authenticity, all in an custom inlet olive Pelican case.
ONLY 20 RIFLE PACKAGES WILL BE PRODUCED!
(1) BARREL contracts were awarded to several different barrel makers over the years including; Pat McMillan, Hart, and Schneider. The Schneider barrels used on these rifles are 24” long, measured from the front of the recoil lug to the muzzle. The barrel utilizes conventional rifling with a 1 in 12” twist, M40A1 spec barrel contour, and finished off with a deep recessed target crown matching the rifle given to Gale.
(2) ACTION is a blue-printed Remington 700 short action which includes; surface ground recoil lug, truing receiver face, threads, receiver lug shoulders and bolt head, and finally lapping the bolt lugs to the receiver. The receiver is machined with the correct stripper clip slots along with the ejection port modification and is marked “U.S.” above the serial number to match the original issue M40A1.
(3) STOCK is a McMillan plain HTG with molded-in forest camo, and as with the original, no stippling or checkering is present. Correct Wichita 1 1/4” sling swivels are anchored into the stock by internal molded-in steel inserts per the original contract. The 1/2” brown Pachmayr basket weave recoil pad is fitted for the 13 1/2" LOP. The action is hand bedded along with the 1 1/2” of barrel cylinder forward of the recoil lug. The remainder of the barrel is free-floated.
(4) BOTTOM METAL is steel Winchester Model 70 style two-piece modified for the M40A1. Socket Cap bolts, not factory slotted guard screws hold everything together. Like the originals, the BDL magazine box is welded to the receiver.
(5) SERIAL NUMBERS on all sub assemblies reflect the high level of attention to detail. The last 4 digits of the serial number are stamped into the bolt handle, bottom metal including both the door and trigger bow, scope base, and barrel. RTE-P, the proof mark of the dedicated USMC creators of the original M40A1 has been reproduced and placed along side the serial number on the barrel.
(6) SCOPE is a continuation of the original contract steel tubed MST-100 10x furnished on the M40A1s. US Optics picked up the scope contract after it ran out with Unertl and performed all upgrades and refurbishing, as well as suppling new optics.
(7) SCOPE BASE is hand fitted to the receiver just as the originals were. The one piece period correct U.S.O. base and rings are a true match to the original Unertl mounts.
(8) TRIGGER is a Remington trigger tuned to a crisp 3 pounds.